First Baptist Church was founded in 1876 with the help of Noah T. Byars (in whose blacksmith shop the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed) and eight charter members. 

 

Originally located at the corner of Adams & Fisk Streets, the church moved to its current location in 1926. 

 

Instrumental in the founding of Howard Payne University, the church membership has maintained its involvement and interest with the school throughout its life. 

 

First Baptist Church members are active in the Brownwood community as well as all of Brown County.  We seek to be bearers of Good News to our neighbors and our community, and enthusiastically invite others to join us on this journey!